Tuesday, January 19, 2010


We've got winter's snow on Mt. Dajti and the level of water in the Lana has started to rise. January has started out cold and wet. Just like I remember last year.
Walking around Tirana on January 9, 2010 we came upon some muslim men getting ready for their afternoon prayers. Because the 18th Century Mosque of Et'hem Bey is so small many will pray on the side walks around the mosque. When the call to prayers is made this part of the Qëndor is very difficult to get around. Some days are more crowded than others.
Probably the most crowded day is the last day of Ramadan. The above photograph is of a portion of the Qëndor next to the Et'hem Bey Mosque. If you look closely, you'll see that the sidewalks and roads around the mosque are completely shut down. As I've mentioned before, 70% of all Albanians will claim they are muslim. I would call it "Islim-light". You don't see too many beards on men or burkas on women. Nevertheless, they are not very willing to listen to the Mormon missionaries.
We've made lots of friends in Albania. This past week we shared a copy of the Book of Mormon with Anisa Dygjeri who we met on the plane coming back from Frankfurt, Germany. She is a student here in Tirana.

3 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

I was so glad for a new post. Interesting pictures.
When do you guys go home? xoxoxo

Meiken said...

Suzie,
Just in case my dad doesn't answer your post, they come home March 24th. We are so excited! :)

Suzie Soda said...

That is so awesome....it coming so soon. It has gone by so fast for me. I am sure not for you and all the little grandkids who have missed them. They have done a marvelous job. What a great heritage for you to follow. xoxoxo