
At the beginning of this week, April 14, 2009, I took a one hour furgon ride to the city of Kruja. Mom stayed home and I took Mirgen Hoxha with me. Kruja was the center of Albanian resistance to the Ottoman (Turk) invasion in the 15th century. This resistance was lead by Albania's national hero Skanderbeg. From the Kruja castle Skanderbeg was able to hold off the Turks for nearly 25 years. Picture is looking toward old part of city.

Part of the old town of Kruja. Cobbled streets with wood built shops and long roof eaves were all rebuilt in the 1960's. There is a gutter in the middle of the street which allowed for wet snow and rain run off.

In side the castle with a local vendor. I think he thought I could use a new hat.

This photograph, also taken from inside the castle shows a portion of the castle wall (right hand center of photo). White buildings on left are residences built inside the castle walls and still lived in today. The tallest building (center left in photo) is a Bektashi temple called a teqe in Albanian. Bektashism is a mystic sect of Islam, founded in the 13th century and introduced to Albania in the wake of the Ottoman conquest. It became very widespread in Albania in the 19th century and today Albania is the world headquarters of the sect. This tege was built in 1789 and is the oldest in the country.

Saturday, April 18, 2009, we had a YSA "piknik" at the Mother of Albania statute. Sixteen years ago (April 23, 1993) Dallin H. Oaks, an Apostle in the Church, offered at this site the dedicatory prayer to open Albania to the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The day had started with rain and I was worried that we would not be able to hold the picnic. Even as we walked up to the memorial it was beginning to sprinkle again, but the rain held off. We sang "I am a Child of God and read the dedicatory prayer after which we had a wonderful picnic lunch.
2 comments:
We all think you could use a new hat Dad.
xxx love you
The Lord heard your prayers. I don't know if you needed a new hat, but I love the one you have.
You could be a chauffeur when not doing missionary work:)
Post a Comment